Deliforum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deligirls delichicks delizombies forum and news about Journey the all american band and frontman Arnel Pineda

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE Empty
PostSubject: 07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2008 2:57 am

Post your review only if you actually attended the concert.. or post reviews from any websites (mainly Journeymusic.com) , not to forget mentioning the source in your credits!

Thanks!
afro
Back to top Go down
http://modceleste.com/Dz.html
chooch

chooch

PostSubject: Re: 07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 6:45 pm

NEXT STOP....SALT LAKE HERE THEY COME!!!!!!!!!!!

Ds TIME LINK AGAINST COUNTRY LOCAL TIME...

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/personal.html

flower cherry cherry Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Article for the concert tonight!!!   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 1:03 pm

Friday, 11 July 2008
'Revelation': Journey reclaims trademark sound
Doug Fox - Daily Herald
The prevailing opinion back in the 1980s was that Journey lead singer Steve Perry had an extremely unique voice. It certainly was immediately recognizable the moment you heard his vocal gymnastics throughout any number of hit songs constantly on the radio.
In 2008, however, Journey is three lead singers removed from Perry's reign, yet still delivering the band's trademark sound.

And, in a shake-your-head-in-amazement twist of fate, not only have the succeeding lead singers been able to adequately duplicate Perry, but also the band's drummer as well. In the past couple tours, drummer Deen Castronovo has handled lead vocals on several songs -- and even he sounds like the band's famed former frontman.

How is that possible?

"Oh, dude, I've ripped Perry blind," Castronovo said with a laugh during a phone interview in May from Santa Rosa, Calif., where the band was in rehearsals for a busy summer of touring. The United States portion of that tour -- which also includes Heart and Cheap Trick -- just kicked off Wednesday and features tonight's appearance at USANA Amphitheatre in West Valley City.

"He's my favorite singer of all time," Castronovo said of Perry, "so to be able to sing Journey songs, even the ones that I do get to sing, is just amazing. It's a dream come true."

It should be pointed out that Castronovo never worked with Perry, having joined the lineup in 1998 after Journey officially cut ties with Perry and hired Steve Augeri as lead vocalist. Augeri lasted eight years before vocal problems on tour in 2006 forced him to bow out in favor of Jeff Scott Soto -- who was a dynamic live performer, but not a Perry vocal clone.

Soto completed the tour -- which included a co-headlining performance in Salt Lake City with Def Leppard -- before he was surprisingly dismissed in a move that has never been fully explained.

By now, most Journey fans are aware of how guitarist Neal Schon discovered new lead singer Arnel Pineda while scouring videos on the online video Web site YouTube. Pineda, who lives in the Philippines, was flown to California for an audition and, according to Castronovo, blew the entire band away with his vocal prowess.

"It was in the first couple songs," Castronovo said. "We were just looking at each other, the whole band was like, 'OK, that's enough of this.' I mean, we knew then that he was the guy. We knew then, so it was like a no-brainer."

And it was more than just Pineda's vocal talents that landed him the job. Castronovo said his personality also is a big plus.

"Just the person that Arnel is. He's very calm. He's very centered, very grounded," Castronovo said. "That's a huge thing because you have singers out there, they could be the greatest singers in the world, but they're a pain in the butt to work with. You don't want to work with them. Arnel is not like that. He is so much fun. And he is so humble. And it's funny to see stuff that we've done for 20 years, he's just now starting to do, and he's like a kid in a candy store. He loves it. So it's neat to see him experience what, actually, I experienced 10 years ago when I first joined this band. And I still experience it to this day. I'm pinching myself, going, 'I get paid to do this?' I mean, it's a cool gig."

With Pineda on board, Journey -- which also features Ross Valory on bass and Jonathan Cain on keyboards -- went into the studio and not only recorded a brand-new album, but also re-recorded 11 of the band's classic hits. And if that wasn't enough, to entice fans to buy the new material, the band added a live concert DVD, taped during Pineda's fourth show with Journey. The complete three-disc set is titled "Revelation," and is being sold for $11.88 exclusively at Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores.

"It's classic Journey, but the neat thing is we've taken it to a different direction with Arnel," Castronovo said. "This thing came to be so quickly, too, bro, 'cause we were out sitting at home and I just got a phone call, like, 'OK, in two weeks we're going into the studio.' 'OK, and when did you guys write all these songs, and where was I?' But it worked out really good. [Arnel] came down, we went into the studio and we recorded this stuff in like two, three months. And it sounds amazing."

Fans at tonight's show can expect to hear some of the new material live -- although Castronovo was not completely sure at the time just how many fresh tunes could be shoehorned into the set.

"That's going to be hard because you know the fans want the dirty dozen," he said, referring to the band's solid gold catalog that features such iconic songs as "Don't Stop Believin'," "Open Arms," "Stone in Love," "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)," "Wheel in the Sky," "Faithfully" and "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' " among many others. "They want the hits, so we're going to have to do the hits. I would think we'll probably put three in, at least three of the new songs. And it should fit perfectly. It should be great."

Over the years, Castronovo has been in several side-band projects with Schon -- including Bad English, Hardline, Planet Us and Soul SirkUS. The two have literally been inseparable, musically speaking, since their first meeting, when Schon walked into a San Francisco studio where Castronovo was playing with well-known jazz/fusion guitarist Tony MacAlpine.

"Neal walks in and I'm freaking out 'cause I'm a Journey fan and thinking, 'What is Neal Schon doing in our rehearsal?' So he picks up a guitar and we start jamming Journey songs and he's got some riffs he's messing with, and I'm playing along with him, and he comes outside and says, 'Hey, I want your number. I want to start a band with you.' And I was like, 'Yeah, come on.' That was the coolest. I was freaking out, but I'm thinking, 'He's just being nice. He won't call.' And a week later he called and told me about the new band he was doing with John Waite and John Cain and Rickey Phillips ... called Bad English. And, boom, by the time I was 23, I had my first No. 1 song. So, I've stayed with Neal. Neal and me are like Alex and Eddie Van Halen."

Well, except perhaps that they still get along with Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony -- two former members of Van Halen who have since been replaced by the Hall of Fame band. Castronovo, Schon, Hagar and Anthony were all involved in the Planet Us supergroup, before the latter two eventually disbanded the project to rejoin Van Halen for its 2004 tour. None of the material recorded by Planet Us was ever officially released.

"Dude, I have a demo, it's, like, amazing," Castronovo said. "But it was one of those things where we did it and then all of a sudden Eddie and Alex found out about it, got really mad at Michael and Sam, and that thing ended quick. Yeah, so that was it for that."

It's all good now, though, as Schon and Castronovo are fully invested in the current lineup of Journey and bringing the music to the masses once again in a live setting. And the addition of Pineda has given the band new life.

"Arnel has brought so much new life into the band and he's made us, just, more hungry to go out and do it, 'cause he's got the voice to cover it," Castronovo said. "I mean, he's really, really, really good, so it makes it more fun for all of us."

Really.

If you go:

∫ When: Tonight at 7 p.m.
∫ Where: USANA
Amphitheatre, 5400 S. 6200 West, West Valley City
∫ Support bands: Heart and Cheap Trick
∫ Tickets: $25-$125,
available at Smith’s Tix locations (800-888-TIXX, www.smithstix.com)
∫ Info: www.usana-amp.com/

Article views: 96
Back to top Go down
luna

luna

PostSubject: Journey's new singer has fans 'Believin'   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 12:57 am

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 1:16 am

LUNY! ANBELIBABOL AGEN!!!!
luna wrote:
http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700242712,00.html cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: JFORUM REVIEWS ARE IN!   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 2:37 am

YES

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote

#122487 - Today at 01:20 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: Argus]
Anonymous Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you Argus for officially confirming it was "SOLD OUT" at Usana Amphi.....hep hep hoooooorrraaay. To borrow Ellen's....UNBELIEVABLE, UNBELIEVABLE, C'MON, UNBELIEVABLE!"
Now expect most if not all of the venues to start a sell out craze. Fans(or fans to be), grab your tickets while you can.

Journey, thank you for this unexplainably warm feeling in my heart, I love you all!

#122495 - Today at 01:26 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: Argus]
Anonymous Anonymous
Unregistered

The Saltlake city concert was fantastic. Arnel was Amazing!!!!

#122499 - Today at 01:35 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got from Usana Amphitheater and boy it was really full packed. The audience enjoyed every song and people were singing and dancing! There were fans outside hoping to have extra tickets to buy but the tickets were sold out.Journey you really made my day!! Thanks come again soon

#122515 - Today at 01:52 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: Argus]
Anonymous Anonymous
Unregistered

Great show! I'm working on a review tonight/tomorrow. I'll post when I get to LA.

#122523 - Today at 02:00 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: Anonymous]
faith20yrs faith20yrs
Evolution

Here you go:
Into - Majestic
Never Walk Away
Only The Young
Guitar Segway into Stone in Love
Ask the Lonely
After All These Years
Separate Ways
Change for the Better
Send Her My Love
Lights
Jon segway into Open Arms
DSB
Edge of the Blade
Wildest Dreams
COOL Neal and Jon (on harp)jam!
Wheel in the SKy
Be Good To Yourself
Anyway You Want It

Encore
ESCAPE (THANK YOU!!!)
Faithfully!

#122537 - Today at 02:15 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: Argus]
paiburong paiburong
Infinity

Posts: 175 just got back from Usana Amphitheater..too tired to post but the whole place is full....i would venture to say...sold out....there was no empty seats in the seated area and the lawn area is FUULLLLLLL of people.

People were standing up to the end starting from right after AATY.
All you can see are thousands and thousand of bobbing heads from then on. The band was able to hold the crowd up to the last minute. From where I was, I could see clearly the concessions stands and the restroom area and there were not much people there all through the concert.

First human eruption occured when the lights went down...and also when the intro started to play.

Arnel seemed to loosen up after AATY and people from the seated area to the lawn area all stood up...from then on to the finish

Highlight:
(can't recall the title of the Revelation song) Cain went up one or two steps, went down one step and jump or hop down from the steps...proceeded to the far left, later meet up with neal for a duo guitar pose, went back to the far left, hop 4 times, rocked his guitar, and went down on his knees and teased the audience in front of him.

AATY.....audience lighted their lighters...some cell phones...and waved...what a delightful sight to watch

Lights...mass eruption....crowd sang with the band

DSB...mass eruption...crowd danced and were very engaged

Seperate Ways...another mass eruption...

Faithfully...played last....i was leaving the area at this time when they played this as the 2nd encore (last song)...beautifull...best performance of the night in my opinion...right at the end...people erupted hysterically for at least a minute or three....non stop....

most notable event:
1. sea of heads from the seated area to the lawn area. just massive.
2. ausdience on their feet right after AATY up to the last minute
3. not much movement in the concession area and the restrooms
4. mass eruptions
5. moving lights from the audience

This is a night for CAIN...

SEE YOU TOMORROW...

#122544 - Today at 02:23 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: Anonymous]
faith20yrs faith20yrs
Evolution

Cheap Trick was fun, sound was lacking, but we enjoyed it.

Heart ROCKED! I knew I 'liked' Heart, but after tonight, I would pay full price to see them again tomorrow! I just kept thinking it couldn't get any better, but they did. The ladies are amazing! Their vocal abilities are as fantastic as they were in the 70's -I don't know how they do it! I personally loved the Acoustic Alone, Dog and the Butterfly, and These Dreams... gave me goosebumps! Ann can reach amazing notes, and Nancy is one heck of a rocker chick!

Last the best of "all the game!"
Our guys were simply amazing!!!!!! Cheryl and I were on the front row, in front of Arnel. My kids and Linda were front row, Jon. I posted the set list already. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Ross was as fun as ever! He as all over the place, making the usual faces and strumming that Bass.

Jon... omg... sleeveless again! He looked fine, and sounded better! I LOVE the beauty that comes out of the Faz!!! He amazes me, and when he played his harmonica with Neal during their Jam... it was simply awesome!! We melted all over again when he started After All These Years.

Neal = Rock God, need I say more. Barb, he looked smokin hot!! We loved singing the new songs, and him staring us in the eyes knowing we "got it!" He is magic, and we SOOO enjoyed the interaction with him. His talent is beyond incredible!

Arnel... I hope he never loses his love and excitement for what he is doing. His infectious grin makes the night special. He did a good job in Vegas, and tonight he was GREAT! He has grown so much in just the few shows between now and then, we can only imagine how this man will command the stage by the end of the tour. He does such a great job interacting with the fans!! We loved singing along with him... especially the new songs. My daughter loved having him step down and take her hand... lucky child! lol!! He has turned up the "sexy" notch too!!! The 'pelvic thrusts' were quite infectious. He hits the notes, voice is strong, and people all around us were so very impressed!! Arnel, take a bow... job WELL done!!!

Tons of interaction between the band members. Everyone looked like they were having a GREAT time. The chemistry between them WORKS!

See you on the road...
Teresa and Cheryl

#122548 - Today at 02:28 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: faith20yrs]
paiburong paiburong
Infinity

Usana was full from the from all the way to the back (lawn area). All one can see are thousands and thousands of heads right after the other...what a delight to see.

the band was able to hold the crowd on their seats and spots (lawn) from start to finish....not much movement in the concessionaires nor the restroom areas at anytime....

Change for the better: Cain went up the riser and hopped down. went to the far left...played next to neal in a tandem manner...went back to the left...hopped 4 times....and went on his knees to tease the audience in the front.

Mass eruptions during Lights, Don't stop Believing, and Seperate ways...
Audience stood up after AATY...all the way to the end..
Jubilation during DSB..people became very festive at this time dancing and singing
Lights from the audience during the ballads
Big roar after Seperate ways...Arnel sounding like the ALPHA FOX calling out the pack...and they sure responded with their way of roar.

FAITHFULLY..was the best performance in my opinion....beautiful..the crowd gave a one minute to three non stop mass eruption of appoval and appreciation....

This was Cain's night..

#122549 - Today at 02:29 AM Re: 7/11/2008 USANA Amphitheatre Salt Lake City,UT [Re: faith20yrs]
Argus Argus
Admin and Avatar
Frontiers

Loc: NanoGunk Village, Second Life® Originally Posted By: faith20yrsOk... now for the review:

Cheap Trick was fun, sound was lacking, but we enjoyed it.

Heart ROCKED! I knew I 'liked' Heart, but after tonight, I would pay full price to see them again tomorrow! I just kept thinking it couldn't get any better, but they did. The ladies are amazing! Their vocal abilities are as fantastic as they were in the 70's -I don't know how they do it! I personally loved the Acoustic Alone, Dog and the Butterfly, and These Dreams... gave me goosebumps! Ann can reach amazing notes, and Nancy is one heck of a rocker chick!

Last the best of "all the game!"
Our guys were simply amazing!!!!!! Cheryl and I were on the front row, in front of Arnel. My kids and Linda were front row, Jon. I posted the set list already. I will try to get some pics up tomorrow.

Ross was as fun as ever! He as all over the place, making the usual faces and strumming that Bass.

Jon... omg... sleeveless again! He looked fine, and sounded better! I LOVE the beauty that comes out of the Faz!!! He amazes me, and when he played his harmonica with Neal during their Jam... it was simply awesome!! We melted all over again when he started After All These Years.

Neal = Rock God, need I say more. Barb, he looked smokin hot!! We loved singing the new songs, and him staring us in the eyes knowing we "got it!" He is magic, and we SOOO enjoyed the interaction with him. His talent is beyond incredible!

Arnel... I hope he never loses his love and excitement for what he is doing. His infectious grin makes the night special. He did a good job in Vegas, and tonight he was GREAT! He has grown so much in just the few shows between now and then, we can only imagine how this man will command the stage by the end of the tour. He does such a great job interacting with the fans!! We loved singing along with him... especially the new songs. My daughter loved having him step down and take her hand... lucky child! lol!! He has turned up the "sexy" notch too!!! The 'pelvic thrusts' were quite infectious. He hits the notes, voice is strong, and people all around us were so very impressed!! Arnel, take a bow... job WELL done!!!

See you on the road...
Teresa and Cheryl

WTG ladies!! God Bless our Forum Faithfuls, who we have par-tayed and sung and danced with for the past 7 years. Great review and you know we were right there with ya, singing all the words and doing our Journey-cize

~*~ Please behave before I have to slap you naked and hide your clothes!
Back to top Go down
busilakbu

busilakbu

PostSubject: First Newspaper Review of Utah Concert   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 4:10 am

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,700242712,00.html

Journey's new singer has fans 'Believin'
By Scott Iwasaki
Deseret News
Published: Saturday, July 12, 2008 12:02 a.m. MDT

WEST VALLEY CITY — Journey's new lead singer, Arnel Pineda, is as close as one can get to being former frontman Steve Perry.

Not only did he have the long, flowing black mane and the sideburns, but Pineda's movements, facial expressions and vocal delivery was so close it was scary.

Now, it's clear Pineda isn't Steve Perry, but he got the job done and the thousands of fans who flocked to the USANA Amphitheatre Friday night, weren't disappointed.

Pineda hit every high note, unlike another former Journey singer — Steve Augeri. And Pineda sang to the audience, instead of over it. He made eye contact, and he hit those soaring notes.

The set opened with an extended version of the guitar instrumental, "Departure," that segued into "Majestic." Pineda emerged as a bundle of energy with the new song with the old-Journey style, "Never Walk Away."

Classic Journey tunes such as "Lights," "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)," "Send Her My Love" and "Ask the Lonely" were highlighted by a backdrop LED screen that not only gave the back row a good look at the band, but also flashed geometric graphics throughout the night.

The vocal gymnastics of "Open Arms," "Edge of the Blade," "Don't Stop Believin"' and another new song, "After All These Years," were on the mark as Pineda leaped, ran and serenaded.

Guitarist Neal Schon's solos, added to Jonathan Cain's keyboard, Ross Valory's bass and Deen Castronovo's drums completed the sound.

The mix, however, was a little bottom heavy, and it was hard to hear the lyrics, although not hard to hear the notes.

It was clear the band has been reinvigorated by its new lead singer.

While Journey was the headliner, the night was also good for Heart. Fronted by sisters — guitarist/vocalist Nancy Wilson and lead singer Ann Wilson — the band tore through a load of hits that included "Straight On," "Magic Man" and the acoustic-laden, "Dog and Butterfly."

Older-sis Ann's voice was still as powerful as it was 30 years ago when the band cranked out the trademark rant of "Barracuda."

Little sister Nancy was able to step into the spotlight with her lead vocals and mandolin on "These Dreams," which opened the way for a piano/guitar quiet version of Ann singing "Alone."

The band threw a couple of cover tunes into the well-balanced mix, paying tribute to the Wilson's musical influences. The Who's "Love, Rein O'er Me" and Led Zeppelin's "Going to California" became Heart songs Friday night.

Of course, the last song of the set was "Crazy on You."

The concert began with a mediocre set by Cheap Trick. The mix was a little to tinny at times and the band, with the exception of guitarist Rick Nielsen, seemed tired.

Sure, Cheap Trick played "Hello There," "Dream Police," "I Want You to Want Me," "If You Want My Love," "She's Tight" and "The Flame." Nielsen also strapped on a few of his famous guitars — including the double-necked one that was modeled after his body and his five-necked monster guitar — but the energy was a bit low.

However, when the band did "Surrender," although it sounded bit rushed, the energy emerged. But it was too late. The song was the last song of Cheap Trick's set.

Still, the audience found itself riding high after Heart and throughout the Journey show.
Back to top Go down
http://janelvl.blogspot.com
chooch

chooch

PostSubject: Re: 07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 8:05 am

07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE R07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE O07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE C07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE K07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE Empty07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE Empty07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE O07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE N07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE Empty07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE Empty07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE J07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE O07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE U07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE R07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE N07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE E07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE Y

LOVE YOU PAPI!!!!!

flower cherry cherry Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
luna

luna

PostSubject: YT links- so far.   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 7:50 am

Back to top Go down
chooch

chooch

PostSubject: Re: 07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 9:32 am

luna wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/user/stormchaser cheers bounce cheers Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven

THanks Luna for the Link..khapon ko to antay hehehe..yeeehheyyy!!! bounce bounce bounce

flower cherry cherry Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
busilakbu

busilakbu

PostSubject: DAILY HERALD REVIEW   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 9:06 pm

Wednesday, 16 July 2008
New singer, songs keep Journey fans believin'
Doug Fox - Daily Herald

Members of the rock band Journey jokingly refer to their cadre of hit songs as "the Dirty Dozen." Judging by fan reaction to new Journey material at a packed-to-the-hills USANA Amphitheatre performance on Friday, however, it might be time to expand that reference to, say, "the Sweet 16."

Journey hit the stage with a new lead singer and a new album -- and the band did not shy away from showcasing either. The result was a reinvigorated live performance, as the band pulsated with noticeably more stage energy than was evident in its past several tours -- which, it should be pointed out, were no ho-hum efforts in and of themselves.

New lead singer Arnel Pineda is truly a marvel. Pineda worked the stage like a man possessed -- whether he was doing split-leg jumps off the drum riser or leading the soldout crowd in massive sing-alongs, the new guy in the lineup was constantly in motion and seemingly in command of the live show.

Between vocals, Pineda often could be seen on the big screen sporting the grin of someone who might just have won the lottery -- and, indeed, that's probably exactly how he felt looking out at 20,000 fans, many of them singing the words to every song in the 1-hour, 20-minute set right back at him. That's because it wasn't too long ago that the once-homeless Pineda was playing in a covers band in the Philippines to audiences numbered in the tens before Journey guitarist Neal Schon discovered him on YouTube and knew he had found his band's new vocalist.

While I was not surprised by Pineda's vocal abilities -- which are in clear evidence on Journey's new three-disc CD/DVD package, "Revelation" -- I was a bit taken back by his amped-up stage presence. His comfort level in performing before big crowds has already improved by leaps and bounds from the in-concert DVD included in "Revelation," which was recorded in March in Las Vegas. The USANA show was only the second stop on the band's current U.S. tour, so Pineda's got great upside potential as well.

And, of course, Pineda, the 16th member of the Journey fraternity for those scoring at home, sounds uncannily like former vocalist Steve Perry -- something the band obviously desired. Audience members who closed their eyes and simply listened to the vocals Friday would be hard-pressed to notice any difference in sound from Perry's famed vocals of glory days gone by.

While Pineda was indeed the evening's true "Revelation," there were no surprises in Schon's guitar talents. The man can flat-out play -- it's no wonder he was tapped to join Carlos Santana's band at the age of 15, before splitting off with Santana keyboardist/vocalist Gregg Rolie to first form Journey in 1973. Schon's in-song solos typically display an infectious melody line which escalates into a lightning-fast finger display on the fretboard -- something that translates well in a live setting.

Bassist Ross Valory is the only other original member of the band remaining -- and he is joined by keyboardist Jonathan Cain (who replaced Rolie in time for 1981's huge "Escape" album and has subsequently helped pen many of the band's biggest hits) and drummer Deen Castronovo (who signed on in 1998). As a full unit, this band is tight, confidently ripping through staples of Journey's back catalog with sizzling renditions of upbeat songs like "Stone in Love," "Ask the Lonely," "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)," "Don't Stop Believin'," "Wheel in the Sky" and "Be Good to Yourself."

The band also is still capable of delivering the occasional power ballad as well, as evidenced by "Send Her My Love" and "Open Arms." The latter song opened with Cain and Pineda doing a piano/vocal duet. Even Cain couldn't suppress a genuine moment of joy over Pineda's vocals, as he was seen on the big screen offering a clearly spontaneous smile after the new singer completed one of his lines.

Unlike some classic bands, which pay lots of lip service to a current album but then only have the confidence to put one new song -- or fewer -- into the setlist, Journey brazenly shoved in four.

And they all worked.

From the catchy opener of "Never Walk Away" to the balladry of "After All These Years," and the melodic rockers "Change for the Better" and "Wildest Dream," Journey was in familiar musical territory -- and the fans willingly came along for the ride, standing, singing and clapping along on cue as if the songs were original members of "the Dirty Dozen."

And, clearly, that's a "Revelation" worth noting.

The other feel-good discovery of the night was hearing Heart's Ann Wilson belt out her band's classic songs like she was still in her 20s. Whether being subdued ("Dog and Butterfly") or boisterous ("Barracuda") Wilson's voice was tremendous.

But it was never better than on a stripped-down version of "Alone," which featured only Wilson, her sister Nancy on acoustic guitar and keyboardist Debbie Shair. Ann Wilson sang well under a few higher notes during the first chorus, which caused me to wonder if, indeed, she could still reach them. Later in the song, though, she seemingly went to those notes and beyond in a powerful display that was in sharp contrast to the earlier restrained take on the tune. The crowd noticed and roared its approval.

Heart also stood out on the hits "Kick It Out," "Magic Man," "Straight On," "Crazy on You" and "These Dreams," the latter featuring Nancy Wilson on lead vocals.

A welcome surprise was the band's take on Led Zeppelin's "Going to California," which sounded quite good and was a great addition to Heart's hour-long set.

Cheap Trick opened the triple bill, reportedly playing 11 songs in 50 minutes, including "I Want You to Want Me," "Dream Police" and "Surrender." I say reportedly because traffic leading up to USANA Amphitheatre was more stop than go, and I -- along with thousands of others crawling toward the venue-- missed the band's set. When it takes 90 minutes to go from the I-215 exit at 4700 South to the USANA parking lot less than 5 miles away ... a different plan is needed.SClBSClBJourney
Back to top Go down
http://janelvl.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE   07/11/08  2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

07/11/08 2nd : SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH! USANA AMPITHETRE
Page 1 of 1