Deliforum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deligirls delichicks delizombies forum and news about Journey the all american band and frontman Arnel Pineda

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC

Go down 
AuthorMessage
busilakbu

busilakbu

8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC Empty
PostSubject: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC   8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 8:38 am

8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC Postcom_logo

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/28/AR2008082803469.html

Journey: Sounds Like Old Times

8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC PH2008082803474

Lead singer Arnel Pineda is from the Philippines, but he's the vocal twin of long-gone Journey frontman Steve Perry.

Friday, August 29, 2008; Page C06

Back in 1998, Journey found a replacement for singer Steve Perry in Steve Augeri, whose rhyming name tickled the world and near-beer vocals were close enough for fans who accepted that they might never see the classic lineup again. But late last year, the band recruited Arnel Pineda to front them, a 40-year-old Filipino who shares something more crucial with Perry than a first name: His. Exact. Voice.

Pineda, along with long-standing members Neal Schon (guitar), Ross Valory (bass), Jonathan Cain (keys), and decade-long drummer Deen Castronovo, dropped several thousand jaws at Nissan Pavilion Wednesday, belonging to folks who likely showed up to see the YouTube-plucked novelty but left feeling like it was 1983 all over again.

Journey offered a few new songs off its latest album, "Revelation" (including the suitably named "Change for the Better"), but mostly stuck to its hits during a 95-minute set. While tracks such as "Lights" and "Any Way You Want It" sounded close enough to what you hear on Mix 107.3, other monsters were truly astounding: "Only the Young," "Separate Ways," "Open Arms" and "Faithfully" were owned by Pineda, who not only has the vocal chops but proved to be a tireless and charismatic physical presence as well.

Oh, yeah: The rest of the band was impressive, too, tightly re-creating three decades' worth of favorites and matching the energy of the newcomer. But it was Pineda's show. "You guys ready to sing along with us?" he asked in typical warm-the-crowd fashion early in the set.

Nope, let's just listen to more of you.

-- Tricia Olszewski
Back to top Go down
http://janelvl.blogspot.com
busilakbu

busilakbu

PostSubject: Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC   8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 8:42 am

Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC [Re: Argus]
Maja
Departure
Loc: Long Island, NY

Just got back a little whle ago from the show, got dressed and had something to eat, but coudn't get to sleep without sharing you JF members here my Journey experience.

Just a short ntoe: Journey ROCKED Virginiaaaaaaa!!!! different from Jones Beach with most audience participating.Arnel was awesome! Neal marvelous & magical. I lov eDeen's pounding an dRoss, oh man, your a darling. The audience were ENERGETIC, PARTICIPATIVE. At first three songs they were not warmed up yet but when Stone In Love was sung, the crowd started getting pumped up. I had a lwan ticket at firts but was able to upgradeit but only to sec. 301 but nearer though.That was the only one they gave me.Better stil coz it was showering. After my rainstorm experience at Jones Beach, I was like: NO, no, it's gonna rain again? Is that rain chasing me from NY? Thanks goodness it didn't pour heavil-just showers.
To my right of that section were empty seats but the lawn area was overflowing!! Next to me were two teenage boys like 19 or 20. They were screaming at Heart, but when Journey came on, at first they were hesitant coz it was the new song NWA. But soon they grooved and was standing and dancing and screaming. Everyone behind me were having ablast: a guy in is late forties or early 50's was whistling -you know that shrill loud sound esp. when people were screaming for the encore.Which the JBoys gave with AYWI and what's the other one? see I got lost in my euphoria.

The father and son on my left sat quietly thru the CT & somehow got into Heart. But when Journey strated playing the dirty dozen, Oh my!! the son (mid-20's) was SINGING along! Oh, Journey fan, I thought. I was the only Filipino in that row and I was alone so I was kind of timid.anyway, the sound was so loud I even couldn't hear myself singing, so talk was useless.
The couples infront of me were also haivng a blast! They were all dancing to our delight. And I saw the smile on the face of oe of their companions when Arnel had that smrk-like smile (that is sweet) after he go the roaring response of the crowd in singing the line.."FOR TOMMOROW" in WITS. I have observed that that group loved Arnel's signature jumps and punches. And one lady was even imitating it already. She was a good dancer, that I can say.

I think the setlist was tha same from the previous show.They sang also WDILYL, AATY, NWA, and CFTB from Revelation.
and again, Arnel said "Maraming salamat Pinoy! And thank ou Virginia!

Mabuhay Journey!!! Go go go rockin' !!

Okay, I have to sleep. My thoughts are disorganized.

Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC [Re: Argus]
FtRE
Journey

Oh, my God... It was AWESOME! I think the venue was packed...sold out, maybe? If not, it's like ninety-nine point seven percent attendance after Cheap Trick -- and I'm not talking about the lawn area. Like the previous concerts, the attendance consisted of variety of ages. I've seen teenagers, young couples, people from the 70's and 80's (don't want to call them old people), and that lady who was already yelling (maybe drunk or high) before the gate was even open. Getting in was easy...no problem. They opened the gates at 6:03 PM and...just one thing, though, how the hell did Best Buy get to let people in for having a Reward Zone card? It's not like it was going to make any difference.

Cheap Trick was loud and rocking! Rick Nielsen was throwing guitar picks up front. Made me wonder for a while where he was hiding all the picks (up his sleeves?). At the end, my question was answered when I saw him getting it from a chest (I guess it was full of picks). I get to listen to my favorites "I Want You To Want Me" and "Surrender." In one of their songs, Jon played the piano and Deen was...just there to praise the band at the end.

Heart did an excellent job. Songs that have the people either cheering, dancing, singing, jumping, et cetera were "These Dreams," "Alone," "Barracuda," and "Crazy On You." I loved it when Nancy Wilson played solo first with an acoustic guitar of "Crazy On you" before they actually played the song. By the way, Nancy's still hot! Nearing the end, Ann (and Heart) sincerely thanked everyone for their support even during harsh time.

Now, for Journey, I don't want to repeat people's previous reviews of the band because they're all true (from energetic, great lungs to "he's even better live," "he can fill Steve Perry's shoe"). I don't even dance and/or sing, but whenever they played the old songs and some new ones, I was singing and dancing with the rest. Hehe. It was just great having a good time with people I don't even know -- and I didn't even drink any alcoholic beverages! Standing ovation for most (if not all) of the old songs. The list below is incomplete (sorry). It's 1:37 AM here already, so um...good night. I hope others will post a review. Thank you for coming here to Virginia, Journey, Heart and Cheap Trick!

SET LIST:

Never Walk Away
Only The Young
(Neil Schon Guitar Solo)
Stone In Love
???
???
After All These Years
Separate Ways
Lights
(Jonathan Cain Piano Solo)
Open Arms
???
Faithfully
Where Did I Lose Your Love
???
(Jonathan Cain Harmonica / Neil Schon Guitar)
Wheel In The Sky
Don't Stop Believing
Be Good To Yourself
Anyway You Want It

C R Y
Leesburg, VA
Back to top Go down
busilakbu

busilakbu

PostSubject: Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC   8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 31, 2008 8:47 am

Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC [Re: FtRE]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Awesome concert from beginning to the end, Cheap Trick was great, Heart was fabulous and JOURNEY just rocked my face off!!! I can't believe they did not play Mother Father though. I was looking forward to that one song, but still the best band in the universe still has the talent and the energy to make a crowd move and grove and sing along.
I would at times just stand and listen to the crowd singing along. Arnel brings such excitement back to Journey after a long long dry spell with a few other leads. He is not Steve Perry but no one is, Arnel is already a Rock monster.
I was blown away at the great set and still wanted more. Journey fan for life!!!!!!
Neal rock guitar legend never fails to play to the extreem and bring you to your knees with the highs so high you could fly away on the sound alone.
A little rain on the show but the Lawn area was Rockin' the Night Away.
THANK YOU JOURNEY for another show stopping event. KEEP ON ROCKIN"!!!!!!!!!!!

D.Winter
Winchester, VA
Life long JOURNEY FAN!!!!!!!!

Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great show last night! I took my 14 year old song to his first concert and he was blown away. He loved all three bands and knows many of their songs. CT was a great opening act, sang all their hits and had great interaction with the crowd. Heart exceeded all my expectations, Ann's voice is still great and the crowd really seemed to get into their set. It was so loud they came back for a 3 song encore. Journey was fantastic! Arnel is a great vocalist and has great energy, running around and jumping the whole show. Neil's guitar solos were great. Both of us really enjoyed the show and stood up for most of it. As usual, getting out of Nissan is a long and tedious experience but at least I only have to go a couple of miles. Thanks to all bands for putting up such a great show.

Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC [Re: Anonymous]
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have always been a long time Journey fan and thought last night's concert was just FABULOUS!!!!! What struck us the most was how Arnel Pineda's voice sounded just like Perry's! Arnel seems to exibit more energy and soul. We enjoyed the Concert and hope to see Journey visit us in Va again next year.
Arnel has captivated the audience with his charisma and talent.
Thanks to Neal for seeking Arnel to bringing Journey back to LIFE again!!!

Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC [Re: jeff66]
JRNYJR
Journey

WWHOAA!WOW! Finally recovered from last night's concert (after a couple of Tylenol). It was great!
Cheap Trick was good, very engaging, and the crowd (front area) warmed up to them right from the start. They obviously enjoyed it and kept the crowd excited with the picks thrown ( we caught 1). Trivia: the picks were lined up kind of clipped to the mic stand--this is in response to a question posted by a reviewer. I don't know some of their songs but they played well I was rocking all the time through out their set.
Heart rocked harder and their sound was precise from the get-go. There's something about a female rocker's voice wailing powerfully that stirs you up. Ann Wilson got to the "heart" of it when she thanked the audience for "bustin' it out here in these hard times." The crowd raved so loudly there was no other conclusion but to do a couple of encores, and the band so very gladly returned their appreciation. The warmth and the connection with the audience started with the first note and lasted a long while 'til after the light was gone.
We waited so long, the feverish anticipation was rising beyond the boiling point as the lights came on and the giant screen showed the band backstage ready to come up. The excitement was approaching critical mass....the whole ampitheater was rumbling in a thunderous sound of fans screaming, howling, whistling, shouting in wild frenzy. Being very close to the stage, on ground you felt like the earth was ready to open up, just when the lights came on to reveal JOURNEY!!! Gorgeous Neal Schon's guitar riffs broke through like a lightning rod through heavy clouds of deafening cries of clamor; dashing Jon Cain's a sight and his music a sound to behold; the coolest dude, Ross Valory kept things steady you almost "feel" the bass with his head bobs(luv the brushed up hair and the shirts- ala James Dean); Deen "the heartbreaker" Castronovo--sooo beautiful and talented, his drum beats will certainly jerk your heartbeat into arrythmia very glady so(palpitations everywhere); then came Arnel Pineda in a flash right in the middle of the stage.."so young in love, they couldn't wait..", all the bundle of energy exploding from the tiny nuclei..the Nuclear Reaction was on. Everybody was on their feet, dancing, and singing, a few lines later we slowed down, watched in perplexed wonder...the Meltdown it seemed: Was it Arnel's voice breaking? He's pushing all efforts,but his voice was drowned out by the music.Was he tired? He sounded like it. He looked frustrated. The last line in OTY looked painful. Something's wrong. It was after the 3rd( or so ) song when Arnel went to the side and came back (maybe w/ a different mic) that he sounded strong and solid just as we expected him, wailed through the aria at the end of each song marvelously, even doing several vocal acrobats, all the while doing a physical acrobat of sorts- jumping, running, throwing air punches---"Air-nel" trademarks. This time the nuclear reaction was in full force releasing massive Megawatt power. His eye-2-eye contact, finger-pointings, and beaming smiles drove us fans CCraazzYY!
Something's got to be done about this very bad sound at the start of the concert, as it has been oftentimes noted on prior reviews. How could Heart and Cheap Trick do it right and not Journey, the main performer for the night? This is beyond annoying/ disappointing. As they say,"first impressions last", and this happens to be the first impression people who don't know/ or haven't heard of Arnel Pineda. It is bad, a big turn-off. Our own reactions were on other people's faces,(a couple next to us left). Don't get me wrong, we're huge JRNY/AP dedicated fans, hence, the concern.
Arnel and the rest of the band certainly bounced back and rocked our face off( I never sat, kept dancing and forgot to take pictures/videos), and melted our hearts with sentiments with very soulful renditions of balllads AATY, Faithfully, OA.
DSB was a blast, dedicated to a gravely ill friend, also to a lady in the audience, and to the packers/backers?- can't tell, while pointing to the crowd up on the lawn/upper tiers.We wanted more, AAYWI was encore. The mind-blowing, earth-shaking experience came back to fruition on the 4th song, so we later craved for more (didn't notice it's already 11pm). Would have loved to hear MF, FITH (very apt considering the current events),and Wildest Dreams would have made a really good rock concert song than some others. All JRNY songs are great but there are songs that are very strong and better for a rock concert. We WANT MORE. 'Got to see you again!!
Lots of younger crowd who knew more the lyrics, & rocked harder to the new songs than the earlier/more mature fans. JRNY is definitely transcending boundaries of age or race. We're very proud of JRNY-----YOU'RE UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC   8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8/27/2008 Nissan Pavilion Washington DC
Page 1 of 1