Deliforum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deligirls delichicks delizombies forum and news about Journey the all american band and frontman Arnel Pineda

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

CLEVELAND ROCKS!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
busilakbu

busilakbu

CLEVELAND ROCKS! Empty
PostSubject: CLEVELAND ROCKS!   CLEVELAND ROCKS! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:29 am

from Melodicrock
Journey062393
Groupie

Just got back finally!!! Wow what a show! First off, Cheap Trick (who I didnt even really ever like before) was great. They are really entertaining. Heart....phenomenal. They havent lost a step at all over the years. And of course, Journey. They were unbelievable. A packed house at Blossom Music Center seemed to be on their feet and it appears as though Arnel has won over the Cleveland crowd. I did the ILAA package and our seats were unreal. Front row, between Arnel and Neal. I got yelled at immediately by the security guy though for using my camera. OK, Livenation's rules specifically for the Journey show this night was that you could take in a non professional camera as long as you didnt use a flash. Well apparently the tour manager changed their mind for tonight and wouldnt allow cameras. Good thing for cell phones which of course are allowed. But then I got in trouble from another security guard because he thought i was recording on my cell phone. Yeah right, like I would even think of doing that! All in all it was a great show but my only complaint was that Neal's guitar seemed to be a little too loud. I wasnt the only one who said this either. Its almost like they purposely cranked it up. This is just pure speculation on my part because from what I heard, Arnel sounded just fine, but maybe they felt due to his recent illness, it would be better to crank up the guitar and drown him out a little. I dont know, again I'm speculating. Its just that some of Neal's notes sounded a little off because of this. But not that much though. Then we got to sit in the parking lot for an hour. So much for the ILAA VIP parking! Oh, and even though I know they announced that the meet & greets were cancelled, I believe at least one band member(usually 3 or 4) had shown up at each show. Tonight was I believe the first night that no one from the band was able to make it to see us. We were told due to medical reasons for everyone in the band, they couldnt make it. However they appeared just fine to me. So whatever. But it was a great time. AND......this is the best part. I made a birthday card for Arnel and held it up and he took it and then he held it up for everyone to see!!! So that was pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
http://janelvl.blogspot.com
busilakbu

busilakbu

CLEVELAND ROCKS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CLEVELAND ROCKS!   CLEVELAND ROCKS! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 7:51 am

http://www.cleveland.com/popmusic/index.ssf/2008/09/_journey_blossom_music_center.html

New singer and old hits prove a perfect match for Journey's sold-out Blossom show
by John Soeder / Plain Dealer Pop Music Critic
Sunday September 07, 2008, 8:00 AM

Journey, Blossom Music Center, 09.06.08 from John Soeder on Vimeo.

REVIEW
Journey
Blossom Music Center
Sept. 6, 2008

If you closed your eyes, it was easy to picture Steve Perry up there.

Then again, you also could imagine him somewhere far away from the spotlight, bitterly cursing his fate. Who knew the machinations of that ever-turning wheel in the sky could be so cruel?

Journey's estranged singer wasn't missed when the resurgent pop-rock quintet from San Francisco headlined a sold-out concert Saturday night at Blossom Music Center. A quarter-century after their Top 40 heyday, these guys have made a remarkable comeback, with lead vocals now handled by Filipino native Arnel Pineda. Uncannily, he sounded more like Perry than Perry himself.

Pineda, 41, got the job last year, after guitarist Neil Schon came across clips of Pineda crooning old Journey songs on -- where else? -- YouTube.

At Blossom, a huge video screen flashed a live feed of Pinela, Schon, keyboardist-guitarist Jonathan Cain, bass player Ross Valory and drummer Deen Castronovo hamming it up en route to the stage for their opening number, "Never Walk Away," an uptempo declaration of purpose off their new "Revelation" album.

A couple of other new songs, "After All These Years" and "Change for the Better," were politely received. But it was "Send Her My Love," "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)," "Any Way You Want It" and other selections from the dusty soundtracks to countless high-school romances in the late 1970s and early 1980s that really got the audience going.

After Perry's departure in 1998, Journey soldiered on with other replacement singers, although none as effective as Pineda. He didn't even attempt to put his own stamp on the classic material. Instead, he eerily and effortlessly re-created Perry's over-the-top inflections and phrasing, note for note.

In the process, Pineda thoroughly enjoyed himself, too.

"I'm actually having a great time right now," he said before the band eased into "Lights," a mellow, harmony-laden holdover from the 1978 album "Infinity."

As if we didn't notice. Fan-turned-frontman Pineda exuded pinch-me-I'm-dreaming glee, exchanging high-fives with concertgoers, executing scissor kicks in mid-air and doing a euphoric jig during "Wheel in the Sky."

In the middle of the set, Journey brought out the big guns. Amid the power-ballad trifecta of "Open Arms," the immortal "Don't Stop Believin'" and "Faithfully, middle-aged women and men found themselves overcome by a sudden urge to squeeze back into yesteryear's prom dresses and rental tuxedos.

With classic-rock stalwarts Heart (whose Ann Wilson can still belt out a tune with the best of 'em) and Cheap Trick (Robin Zander, not so much) also on the bill, the nostalgia was knee-deep.

By the time Journey capped its 90-minute performance with "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" -- perhaps not coincidentally, a song about finding comfort in the arms of another, with a "na-na-na-na-na" singalong to boot -- all that remained was a single burning question:

Steve who?

SET LIST: "Never Walk Away," "Only the Young," "Stone in Love," "Ask the Lonely," "Send Her My Love," "After All These Years," "Change for the Better," "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)," "Lights," "Open Arms," "Don't Stop Believin'," "Faithfully," "Chain Reaction," "Escape," "Wheel in the Sky," "Any Way You Want It," "Be Good to Yourself"

ENCORE: "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'"

http://vimeo.com/1681670
Back to top Go down
http://janelvl.blogspot.com
luna

luna

CLEVELAND ROCKS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CLEVELAND ROCKS!   CLEVELAND ROCKS! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 8:32 am

thank you dbus for the link.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

CLEVELAND ROCKS! Empty
PostSubject: Re: CLEVELAND ROCKS!   CLEVELAND ROCKS! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CLEVELAND ROCKS!
Page 1 of 1